Book of Judges: Lesson 1
Rev. Jeremy Walker
1 Now after the death of Joshua it came to pass, that the children of Israel asked the Lord, saying, Who shall go up for us against the Canaanites first, to fight against them?
2 And the Lord said, Judah shall go up: behold, I have delivered the land into his hand.
3 And Judah said unto Simeon his brother, Come up with me into my lot, that we may fight against the Canaanites; and I likewise will go with thee into thy lot. So Simeon went with him.
4 And Judah went up; and the Lord delivered the Canaanites and the Perizzites into their hand: and they slew of them in Bezek ten thousand men.
Section 2: God’s Retribution Against Adonibezek
5 And they found Adonibezek in Bezek: and they fought against him, and they slew the Canaanites and the Perizzites.
6 But Adonibezek fled; and they pursued after him, and caught him, and cut off his thumbs and his great toes.
7 And Adonibezek said, Threescore and ten kings, having their thumbs and their great toes cut off, gathered their meat under my table: as I have done, so God hath requited me. And they brought him to Jerusalem, and there he died.
Section 3: The Purge of Canaan Continues
8 Now the children of Judah had fought against Jerusalem, and had taken it, and smitten it with the edge of the sword, and set the city on fire.
9 And afterward the children of Judah went down to fight against the Canaanites, that dwelt in the mountain, and in the south, and in the valley.
10 And Judah went against the Canaanites that dwelt in Hebron: (now the name of Hebron before was Kirjatharba:) and they slew Sheshai, and Ahiman, and Talmai.
11 And from thence he went against the inhabitants of Debir: and the name of Debir before was Kirjathsepher:
Section 4: The Marriage and Inheritance of Caleb’s Daughter Achsah
12 And Caleb said, He that smiteth Kirjathsepher, and taketh it, to him will I give Achsah my daughter to wife.
13 And Othniel the son of Kenaz, Caleb’s younger brother, took it: and he gave him Achsah his daughter to wife.
14 And it came to pass, when she came to him, that she moved him to ask of her father a field: and she lighted from off her ass; and Caleb said unto her, What wilt thou?
15 And she said unto him, Give me a blessing: for thou hast given me a south land; give me also springs of water. And Caleb gave her the upper springs and the nether springs.
Important Doctrines Being Taught:
1. All things belong to God; He gives and takes away according to His will and His timing.
2. Men and nations in rebellion to God will not go unpunished.
3. God uses men and nations to exact His judgment upon men and nations according to His will.
4. Men reap what they sow according to the will and timing of God.
5. Marriage is a family concern involving all members of both families.
6. Sons and daughters alike are both alike worthy of inheritance if they be Godly.
Questions and Answer:
1. Who was going to deliver the land into the hand of Judah?
Answer – God.
2. Who went with Judah to fight against the Canaanites first?
Answer – Simeon
3. What did Judah and Simeon do to Adonibezek when they captured him?
Answer – Cut off thumbs and great toes.
4. How many Kings did Adonibezek say he had cut the thumbs and great toes off of?
Answer – Threescore and ten. (20+20+20+10 = 60 — A score is 20.)
5. Why did Adonibezek say he had lost his thumbs and great toes?
Answer – He said that God was repaying in for his treatment of others. God was dong to him as he had done to others.
6. What did Judah do to Jerusalem?
Answer – The smote it with the sword and set it on. fire.
7. What did Caleb promise to the man that could defeat the city of Kirjathsepher?
Answer – He promised to give his daughter Achsah to them in marriage.
8. Who defeated the city of Kirjathsepher?
Answer – Othniel
9. What did Caleb’s daughter Achsah ask her father for as an inheritance for her?
Answer – Land with Springs and Water.