2 cup All-Purpose Flour
1 tbsp Paprika
2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Oregano
2 tsp Ground Cumin
1 cup Milk
1-2 Large Onion
Vegetable Oil for frying
1. Mix dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
2. Mix wet ingredients into a separate smaller mixing bowl.
3. Cut 1 Large Onion into one inch wide petals.
4. Place onion petal in the dry ingredients mix and ensure there is a light coating over the entire onion petal.
5. Next, place the coated onion petal into the wet ingredients mix. Be sure to cover the entire onion petal in the wet mix.
6. Finally, place the onion petal back into the dry mix and ensure the entire petal is liberally covered with the dry mix.
7. Continue this process until all of the onion petals have gone through this process and are fully covered.
8. Pour vegetable oil into a pan 2 to 3 inches deep. Then turn the heat on to medium to high. Once the oil temperature reaches 375 degrees you are ready to cook. (Ensure to monitor the oil temperature so that the temperature does not rise into the 400-450 degree range this can cause the dry mix to burn rather than cook.)
9. Place between 10 to 15 coated onion petals into the heated oil.
10. Oil cooking times can vary, watch the color of the onion petals as they cook rather than how long they cook in the oil. Once the batter on the onion petal becomes a golden brown color and the oil stops popping it is time to remove the petals from the oil and place them on a sheet pan on top of paper towels to dry.